Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hippy with foot hygiene




From Madrid to Jurien Bay.  This time last year we were living in Europe and holidays were always so easy to organise last minute.  Flights were cheap and short, and accommodation was inexpensive due to the quantity available in built up cities.  Now that we are residing in a place that seems so remote, popping on an hour flight to another country is not an option.  Last year my daughter was lucky enough to celebrate her 3rd birthday in Madrid Spain..  This year it is Jurien Bay, Western Australia.  Last year it was in an apartment in the midst of the hustle and bustle of a very hip city filled with wine and delicious tapas.  This year it is in a cabin at a caravan park with leftover food from the birthday BBQ we had the day prior.
Cake one

cake two

The cost ... pretty much the same!!!
The experience at both destinations ... priceless.

Jurien Bay is located 3 hours north of Perth.  It seemed like the logical destination to combine proximity to the beach and the park for the children, combined with a day trip to the Pinnacles.
Our cabin
Son trying to master the jumping pillow, not too successful!

I was only saying last week how I wanted  to go to the desert.  At this stage this is definitely the closest I have come to such a desolate landscape.

I am not turning into a hippy; but isn't nature wonderful.  The scenery on the drive changed continuously and altered from one side of the road to the other.  Plains of barren land, green shrubbery, fields of black boys, fire affected areas, salt lakes and large dunes the size of mountains sitting randomly away from the coastline. The surroundings were captivating.  Nature is bewildering.
Random sand mountains found away from the coastline

Actually, maybe I am turning into a hippy.  I was definitely moved by nature.  And, I didn't wash my hair the entire time that we were away.  I even dismissed my morning shower for a swim in the ocean.   Admittingly, I did have to shave my armpit and leg hair on the second day, and I continuously wiped my feet with baby wipes as I could not stand the sand on the cabin floor.  But that's okay isn't it? I am sure that 'hair-free' and 'foot hygiene' are high on the hippy list of priorities.
Anyway, back to the drive.  You know you are 'not in Kansas anymore Toto', when you start spotting signs warning of kangaroos.  Shortly followed by a sign with a kangaroo and emu.  Shorty followed by a sign with a kangaroo, emu and echidna.  Really?  Kind of cliche, 3 out of the 5 main Australian animals on one sign.  I commented that I would love to see a platypus on the next sign.  My husband is quick to point out that the platypus live near fresh water streams and lakes in Eastern Australia, therefore it would be highly unlikely for them to be found in this area.  Really honey?  I had to stop him before he started explaining the eating habits and reproduction cycle.  Obviously hubby does not understand the comedy acquainted with my new hippy holiday sense of humour.  Chill out babe, enjoy the nature, we are on a beach/ desert holiday.  (Doesn't sound right does it?)

Maybe my prior love of lemongrass incense and my awe of the scenery isn't enough to embody the role of a hippy, but I must say I doubtlessly have a new found respect for this part of the Australia, and as a matter of fact, this part of the world.

"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!"


Blah, blah, blah... you know what I mean.
Jurien Bay

Perfect for the younger children

Our little helper

We only had 2 nights and 3 days to explore, but in that time we managed to see Green Head, Jurien Bay, Cervantes, Lancelin, Ledge Point, Sea Bird, Two Rocks and Yanchep.  These little coastal towns truly bought meaning to there location of the Turquoise Coastline.  We also stopped to see Stromatolites, Hanson Bay Lookout, Moolah Hill lookout, Grigson's Lookout, and of course the Pinnacles.
Moolah lookout

The only thing that hampered this trip was knowing that we were not to witness any of the wild flowers that are usually in this area... we missed them by a few months.  If I thought it was amazing now, then I will have to search hard in the thesaurus to describe it when the flowers are out!  We will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment