Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Home sweet home

“Where ever I lay my hat is my home”, but I do not often wear hats, so maybe it should be “where ever I lay my bra from the lamp shade is my home”?  Have you ever considered where you consider home to be before?  Home being somewhere that;
·         You have your own key for
·         At the local supermarket you know which aisle and shelf desired food is located
·         You know which window in the house allows for best clothes drying.
My list starts off blurry as far as responsible key membership and domestic competencies – but is filled with treasured and chaptered memories; it goes like this…
1.       Brisbane, QLD, Australia
2.       Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
3.       Chinchilla, QLD, Australia
4.       Rochedale South, QLD, Australia
5.       Shailer Park, QLD, Australia
6.       New Farm, QLD, Australia
7.       Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8.       Stockholme, Sweden
9.       Fortitude Valley, QLD, Australia
10.       Camphill, QLD, Australia
11.   Newcastle, NSW, Australia
12.   Milano, Italia ….. and now…..
13.   Perth, WA, Australia
No…. My father was not ‘a man running from the law’, (the only addiction or bad habit I have known him to have was to hide chocolate and jube lollies behind the bar so others could not relish in his craving).  In the first 18 years, only 5 moves were experienced, most of which I was too juvenile to recall or too selfish to feel affected by.  So, to my parents relief, they can be rest assured  that my psychological instability was not caused by the transition of moving, or by any subconscious effort to ‘run from home’.  I was actually fortunate enough to live in the same residence for my entire primary and senior school education.  I am also pretty certain that the new occupancies to this particular address, have had to chisel out the engraved height chart that has been progressing over 12 years and 3 children, under the staircase.  That was a lot of 6 month measurement markings.  My bet is that the under stair storage area is now a perfect wine cellar?
The point of my rant?  I have been married for 5 years.  I have been madly, and insanely in love for 8 years.  I have moved 7 times since I have been madly in love.  I placed a ring on my finger and received 2 beautiful children, (no, not immaculate conception, use your imagination).  It just goes to show, love may take you  anywhere, and it will make you do crazy things, (things that you would not usually attempt alone). 
This is my next journey….. “Perth…it could be worse.”

No comments:

Post a Comment